Friday, October 30, 2009

Little Gianna and the Bad Tech

Poor little Gianna has reflux. They prescribed Xantac for her and gave us some tips to help. When I went to pick it up, I asked pharmacy tech how to give it to her. She told me to give her .6 ml twice a day and gave me a syringe to show me how much it was. It looked like sooooo much medicine and I had the terrible feeling in my stomach. I text Courtney because her daughter also had reflux. I got home and opened the bag, pulled out the medicine and 2 very small syringes. The tech had given me a syringe measuring 6 ml!!! There is a huge difference between 6 and .6!!! I had planned on calling the doctor to double check...I am so glad I listened to my gut and read the instructions myself!!! It just proves you have to double check everything no matter what. And why does a pharmacy tech who had to get training and certified not know the difference between 6 and .6 ml?

Anyways we started the meds this morning and also trying the wide nipple Dr.Browns. We like the Dr.Brown bottles but sometimes it seems like she can't really latch onto the nipple when she is really uncomfortable.

2 comments:

Courtney Jo said...

It is so hard to see your little one with reflux, but it does get better! Evelyn is so much better now! As for the syringe... I had to get a 3ml syringe that I used when I took the fertility drugs. Luckily I had some left, I just had to take the needle off and it was perfect. All the others ones I had were so big I could hardly be accurate! I hope she feels better!

Sarah Kelly said...

Kaelin had reflux and colic. It sucks! I forget what meds we put her on but one of them was a fizzy tablet and the other was a liquid. That tasted awful so we started mixing it with dark Karo syrup so she couldn't taste it. Plus that helped her belly by easing the constipation too.